Re: [Duplicity-talk] Much Larger Duplicity backups when compared to Sou

From: william pink
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Much Larger Duplicity backups when compared to Source
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:17:29 +0000

       > Sorry for the delayed response - I use Mysqldump each day which
> compresses them with tar and gunzip,  I then with duplicity use full
> backup initially then incremental after.

This mechanism will guarantee that the incremental ends up being about
the same size as the original.  Duplicity saves space by only sending
the changed parts of the file as part of the incremental.  By using gzip
compression, you defeat the comparison process, so each file is totally
changed as far as duplicity is concerned, thus the large backups.

To make best use of duplicity, do the mysqldump straight to text files
and make that the input to duplicity.  It will compress and tar them
before sending to the remote system and you will see much smaller
incremental backups.

...Ken

Just had a thought it does add a different file each day as it's doing a full Mysql dump each day which I presume will make a difference...

I think I should possibly reconsider my backup plan and do actual incremental backups with Mysql instead of full dumps which may make it easier.

Will