Re: [Duplicity-talk] Rsync Backend

From: Peter Valdemar Mørch (Lists)
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Rsync Backend
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:53:54 +0100

Richard Scott richard-at-pointb.co.uk |Lists/Send to lists| wrote:
I'm guessing that your running mysqldump each night to dump to a flat file? If so, duplicity will see this "flat file" as a brand new file (each night) and take a full backup of it (each night) :-( I think its something to do with the file having a different inode or something?

If anyone else on this list as a different view, please shout :-)

SHOUT! I'm not certain of the insides of duplicity, but I understand it, and as my experience with duplicity shows:

Because it use librsync, large files that change only little lead to small backups, irrespective of inode or whatever.

Perhaps the mysqldump output contains many timestamps or other things, that make these large files very different. But if they're similar, that should lead to small incremental backups.

Peter
--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.morch.com