[Duplicity-talk] TAR successor: status and alternatives

From: Stefan Xenon
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] TAR successor: status and alternatives
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:13:54 +0100

Hi!
At the section "Replace tar?" on web site is no date written. So I would
like to know if this concept is old or new and what is the status of the
proposed TAR successor? Is it going to become real?

Also I am wondering what the drawback of  existing archive formats (such
as ZIP, RAR etc.) are and why they are no possible TAR-successors. Ok,
many are from the Windows world but maybe some are more superior?

Cheers
Stefan