Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: gpg: invalid packet

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: gpg: invalid packet
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:54:11 +0200

Is there a way to stop the error at its source?

Therefor we have to find the source .. could be anything. Corruption of local, remote filesystem, bad data transfer.. or duplicity choking on gpg exiting non zero and warning on a bad packet but otherwise decrypting perfectly (ctb14, we had that before).

I searched the archives for your error and found

Error librsync error 1 while in delta rs_signature_t builder getting delta for home/heidi/Maildir/.savedmessages.saved-messages-060103060630/cur/1206141498.000385.mbox:2,S
tarfile: Bad Checksum
python: ERROR: (rs_loadsig_s_stronglen) strong sum length 144 is implausible
python: ERROR: (rs_job_complete) loadsig job failed: stream corrupt
Error librsync error 106 while in delta rs_signature_t builder getting delta for home/heidi/Maildir/.savedmessages.saved-messages-060103060630/cur/1206141498.000395.mbox:2,S
secmem usage: 2432/3072 bytes in 6/10 blocks of pool 3936/32768
GPGError: GPG Failed, see log below:
===== Begin GnuPG log =====
gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 5A22869F, created 2002-09-28
"Paul Adams <address@hidden>"
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=62)
gpg: uncompressing failed: unknown compress algorithm
gpg: fatal: zlib inflate problem: incorrect data check
===== End GnuPG log =====

well this looks like gpg really can't decrypt/deflate it .. but to find out for sure I suggest you run a verify with maximum verbosity. Then you'll see which file is problematic and you can try to decrypt it by hand. Just to see what comes out of it.

Let's assume the data is really corrupted. I'd suggest you update to the latest 0.6 tree which uses a local archive dir. Then you'll have to wait for the error to occur again. But this time you'll have a local copy to compare the repository data against. To see if the corruption occures on transfer or remote storage.

An interim solution can also be to simply delete the bad incremental chain on the remote file sytem. Try first moving the latest to a spare folder and run verify. Do this again until the error disappears. But this will of course not help you to find the source of evil :)

...ede