[Duplicity-talk] Bandwidth confusion on Rackspace Cloud Files

From: Lou
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Bandwidth confusion on Rackspace Cloud Files
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:56:02 -0800

Hi,

I performed a full backup of /home of about 8.5 GB using duplicity
0.5.18 / python-cloudfiles 1.4.0 on Debian Lenny to Rackspace Cloud
Files. I then checked the bandwidth stats at the Rackspace Cloud web
manager. It says that I used 8.4 GB in and 8.5 GB out.  My Rackspace
Cloud File container is not public.

I would expect some data going out, but not more than went in.  Why is
this?

I ran the following (unfortunately I have to obfuscate some info):

----------

#!/bin/bash

export CLOUDFILES_USERNAME="foo"
export CLOUDFILES_APIKEY="foo"
export PASSPHRASE="foo"

duplicity --full-if-older-than 1M \
        --exclude "/home/*/*/logs" \
        --exclude /home/foo \
        --exclude /home/bar \
/home cf+http://home

duplicity verify cf+http://home /home >> /var/log/duplicity/home.log

unset CLOUDFILES_USERNAME
unset CLOUDFILES_APIKEY
unset PASSPHRASE
exit 0

And then I did a file listing of cf+http://home:
duplicity list-current-files cf+http://home

Lastly, I did a test file recovery:
duplicity --file-to-restore foo/htdocs/title.jpg \
cf+http://home /root/restored/title.jpg