Re: [Duplicity-talk] question regarding cygwin and duplicity 0.6.02

From: Jacob Godserv
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] question regarding cygwin and duplicity 0.6.02
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:22:25 -0400

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Mark D. Spiller<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to bother you, but I'm getting the following error from duplicity
> 0.6.02 installed in cygwin:
>
> Max open files of -1 is too low, should be >= 1024.
> Use 'ulimit -n 1024' or higher to correct.

I would suggest running the suggested ulimit command with the given
1024 number or higher to work around this issue until a developer
responds.

I peeked at the source code, and what was actually fixed was the
discovery of the max open file limit (from ulimit to
resource.getrlimit). Your operating system still determines the
maximum number of open files.

If you are using cygwin to run duplicity, the -1 limit, which cannot
be avoided, is supposedly caught and ignored by duplicity. If you are
using some other Unix-based operating system, the -1 limit is very
unsafe and should be corrected (as far as I know).

--
    Jacob

    "For then there will be great distress, unequaled
    from the beginning of the world until now — and never
    to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
    short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
    elect those days will be shortened."

    Are you ready?