[Duplicity-talk] --log-fd and --log-file output (possible) bug

From: Evan Jeffrey
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] --log-fd and --log-file output (possible) bug
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 18:01:59 +0200

I use the --log-file collection status as part of my backup script. I recently upgraded and noticed of the date stamps changed with the new filenames, and broke my backup script. Actually, the log format can be changed by using the --old-filenames switch, which I am using to keep my script working. Of course, that is only a temporary fix as that switch will eventually go away.

So, I guess that brings up three points. First off, it would be best if the 'machine readable' log format didn't change unless necessary, I doubt that mine are the only backup scripts that broke. While it was nice to be able to use the --old-filenames switch to keep my scripts working, the log format probably shouldn't depend on that anyway, I assume this was unintentional. Finally, I don't know whether it is better to use the new or the old format. I think the new format has actually been around longer than the old format by now, so changing back may break a bunch of scripts again. However, the old format is more standard and can be understood by GNU date, which is handy.

Evan