Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.6.0 Released - Checkpoint/Restart

From: Colin Ryan
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.6.0 Released - Checkpoint/Restart
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:58:17 -0400

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
On 11.6.09 Kenneth Loafman wrote:

It would be handy to use a database for all of this, both the sig and
manifest info could be stored in the database, along with options, logs,
and history.  An SQL database could be used for this quite easily, but
my issue with database access is that now you're into major program
requirements that get away from small size.  Plus, to be a true backup,
you have to store the same info remotely so nothing is lost if the
backup machine dies, which kind of implies multiple formats.  I don't
think you'd want to shove a database over the wire for a backup.

SQLite is integrated into Python if I am not totally mistaken - hence no program bloat at all. In fact, I'd argue not using it might be more bloat. I also do not really see an issue with sending SQLIte files over the wire - of course you have to close them first but other than that? Why not.

Only thing to remember, tho not a big deal in this use case I believe is that I think, SQLite only supports a single connected client (i.e. the application the particular db is for). Other than that SQLLite is fast, pervasive and very slick.