Re: [Duplicity-talk] Problem with max open files check on Cygwin

From: Nick Burch
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Problem with max open files check on Cygwin
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:26:37 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
This looks like a reasonable fix. Does -1 mean that there is no hard limit on open files, or just not available?

I suspect that cygwin doesn't have the concept of both a soft and a hard limits, so the -1 on the hard limit means there's nothing available, and you only get a sensible answer on the soft limit

(I think there may be a hard limit that can be changed whilst compiling cygwin, but I've not found any way to programatically tell what it is, other than by trying to set the ulimit higher until it fails!)

Nick