[Duplicity-talk] symmetric vs. key

From: Edgar Soldin
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] symmetric vs. key
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:30:51 +0200

Hi all,

I am asking myself the pro's and con's of using symmetric encryption
versus the use of keys with duplicity.

Background is that I think many end  users really struggle with keys and
gpg administration. So I think why bothering them with it when duplicity
supports keyless symmetric gpg encryption. Of course this only would be
an option and keys still be supported.

Is it worth to implement this in ftplicity, which currently insists on a
key? Does anybody use duplicity this way?

Do all duplicity versions switch to symmetric when no key is given?

I just read gpg uses cast5 which is supposedly industry strength
resistant to crypto analysis. The only weak point of course is the
passphrase, because of the brute force / dictionary attack vector. But
as the passphrase is in the ftplicity config it can be as long and
complex as wanted.

My easter thoughts
Thx in advance .. ede