Re: [Duplicity-talk] Unable to use gpg-agent

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Unable to use gpg-agent
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:17:33 -0500

Nicolas Aspert wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 15:25, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     How did you make sure the passphrase was in the agent?  Did you encrypt
>     something with that key?  I've always just let the agent prompt me for
>     the first time and after that its in there.
>

> Encrypting works fine. Decryption fails, I think this is what makes
> duplicity exit, as it tries to decrypt files when performing an
> incremental backup.
>

>     The error message sounds like gpg has no agent to talk to, or could not
>     talk to it.  I've tested against gpg-agent and seahorse-agent.  Do you
>     use one of those?  If not, which one.
>

> I add the key to gpg-agent via keychain (when logging in)

But that does not supply the passphrase that the agent needs to have for
decryption.  Duplicity should be triggering gpg to ask for a passphrase.

Try decrypting one of the backup manifest files (its short), like this:
  $ gpg --use-agent -d duplicity-manifest-file
gpg should prompt you for a passphrase.  If you do it a second time, it
should not.