Re: [Duplicity-talk] backup design question

From: Joel Carter
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] backup design question
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:27:28 -0700

Hey again.

Well the major difference for me between rsync and FTP is that rsync
plays really well with SSH. Since FTP sends passwords in cleartext,
using rsync with SSH you get passwords and all data encrypted. You
have a point that it's more overhead since Duplicity files are already
encrypted but I doubt you're going to notice the performance hit. You
mentioned that SSH can use symmetric keys which is a big benefit for
me as you can setup a trust relationship between machines and then
forgot about authentication between them. Probably the biggest
different between the FTP and rsync protocols is that rsync can sends
only differential changes, whereas FTP has to resend the whole file.
The speed at which rsync processes thousands of files for changes and
then only sends the diffs is incredible in my opinion. Might not be a
big deal with Duplicity since the backup files won't change on you but
remember that you are getting complete integrity checking of the
off-site mirror EVERYTIME you do a transfer. I agree about the chroot
jails with FTP, that is very easy to use and handy. I haven't done it
using SSH but would be interesting in knowing how difficult that is -
have you done it?

Joel.