Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.07 Released

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.07 Released
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 08:32:59 +0000

Kenneth Loafman wrote:
Michael Terry wrote:
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
Add/update copyright statements in all distribution source files
and revert duplicity to GPL version 2 license.
This is an interesting change.  Can you talk about why?  Can you even
do that without the agreement of all copyright holders (which IANAL,
but I think are people that have contributed non-trivial patches)?

From the licence:
Duplicity is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
# Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your
# option) any later version.

This is in the both V2 and V3, so I don't think there is any problem about going from V2 to V3. However, I don't know about going back a version:) Personally, I have no problem with it.

All the gnu/FSF code I have worked with requires contributors of non trivial patches to sign the FSF papers, which assigns copyright of the code to the FSF. As copyright holders the FSF can release the code under whatever licence they wish.

The FSF themselves are very helpful in sorting out issued like this, so to clarify the ;position I would suggest that Ken asks them.

Ian.