Re: [Duplicity-talk] some usage questions regarding full/incremental bac

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] some usage questions regarding full/incremental backups
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 14:25:07 +0100

> After all machines have backed-up to this central location, it uses
> regular rsync to upload the archive to an off-site machine.

Note that unless you have specifically verified that the case is
otherwise, or taken specific precautions to guard against it (snapshot
storage on the receiving end, hardlink based incremental snapshots,
etc), your rdiff-backup "backup" is likely to be inconsistent (i.e.,
broken) during large parts of the rsync procedure. In other words,
you'd be vulnerable to primary backup failure during one or more time
windows during each rsync operation.

If you have, my apologies, but even then I wanted to mention it for
the purpose of others reading the thread.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden