Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.04 Released

From: Edgar Soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.5.04 Released
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:31:01 +0100

Michael Terry wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Edgar Soldin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> - Why use sophisticated APIs, coming with dependencies, if only a text
>> substitution is needed.
>>

> Translation is actually a very interesting problem, both in terms of
> the actual substition and the proces.  Gettext does a very good job of
> it.

true and true again

> In short, there's a reason everyone under the sun (in FOSS-land) uses
> it.  It's a very mature translation solution, that would be hard for
> us to duplicate by ourselves, just to avoid depending on a library by
> writing a new one.

i am not python literate, but after a brief look it seems that gettext
is supported since 2.3 and therefore available by default on python
machines. Good choice then.

What worried me was more the disttools-extra/intltool combination which
seemed to cause problems. But it seems Ken came up with
http://wiki.wxpython.org/RecipesI18n
which seems to do it without any more bindings ...

so far so perfect .. regards ede