[Duplicity-talk] Re: gpg "no public key", but only when run from cron

From: Steve Madsen
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Re: gpg "no public key", but only when run from cron
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:40:09 -0500

On Dec 1, 2008, Jon wrote:
I had the same issue and while I am sure there is a better way, I solved
it by beginning my scripts with

# Export the PASSPHRASE variable because cron can't read it
# for some reason
export PASSPHRASE=MYPASSPHRASE

I don't think this is the problem. I've had the PASSPHRASE in the script since the beginning and it never prompts me for it during an interactive run. I don't use GPG for anything else and am not running an agent, so it has to get the passphrase either from the tty or the environment.

Do most people generate their keys as root or as a regular user? I generated mine as a regular user, then imported both the public and private keys into root's keychain. Another problem, since resolved, was making the key trusted so GPG would use it.

--
Steve Madsen <address@hidden>
Light Year Software, LLC  http://lightyearsoftware.com