Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:46:56 -0500

Phew, there were a lot of responses to my latest email so I'll try to
get them all here, rather than writing 10 more emails.

XML output alternative to dbus:  Possible.  Could be just as
discoverable if it wrote files to /var/log/duplicity/pid/XXXX or
something.  Still would have a bloat cost that is probably equivalent.
 And I don't think XML is really the right format for this kind of
thing.  It's more for structured data than notification of events or
logging.

Network-transparant duplicity:  This wasn't in my scope.  I don't know
off hand if dbus really supports/plans-to-support that or not.

Shell-scriptabliity of dbus:  It's good.  With dbus-monitor and
dbus-send, you can do everything you should need to.

GLib dependency:  dbus requires glib.  But dbus (and thus glib) are
only used if they are available.

duplicity helper wrapper:  I'm not sure how this would work.  The
wrapper would need some communication from duplicity that is
machine-readable, so we'd just be adding an extra layer of complexity.
 Did I not understand this?

-mt