Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch

From: Richard Scott
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 00:02:30 -0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I'm not sure if I've missed part of an email that detailed this so this may be
stepping back over
ground that has already been covered. I am sorry if that is the case, but I was
just wondering
what advantages would dbus bring to duplicty?

Any backup GUI that I've ever used has had these three basic features (aside
from
scheduling/configuring backup jobs):

1) Start a backup job.
2) Stop a running backup job.
3) Display details about a running job.

And from what I can tell, the answers to the above are:

1) execute duplicity.
2) kill duplicity (via pid).
3) parse the output from duplicity.

All of these you can easily do in perl, python, php or bash etc so I'd expect
you can do this in
any other language too?

I don't know dbus other than what I've just googled so I guess I'm really
asking is: What would
dbus enable us to do that we can't do now?

Cheers,

Rich