Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 13:03:24 -0600

My take on any backup system is that unless it is usable from cron and a
command line, its absolutely useless.  GUI's are nice for setup and
monitoring, but if either the GUI or human intervention is required for
execution, then you've broken the backup process because now you're
relying on the most undependable part of the system, the human, in order
to get it started and to run on a set schedule.

Whatever solution we come up with will have to support running via cron
as the primary mode and managed as the secondary mode.  Dbus may be an
aid in monitoring and possibly managing the process, but it must be
optional so standalone backups are not compromised.

...Ken