Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restore question

From: Dylan Martin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restore question
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:59:20 -0700

It sounds like "never back up something that comes on an install disk"
might be a best practice.

My problem with that is, I have a hard time keeping track of what is
unchanged from the install disk and what isn't.  I used to only back
up user data and not system data, but then I had a real crash, and
suddenly all those little changes, installed packages and whatnot come
to the fore.  If I was organised enough, I could make some sort of a
snapshot of the initial install state and then backup only the delta.
Of course, that relies on knowing exactly which packages I installed
at the beginning.
So, you see what I'm getting at here, there's a lot of opportunities
to screw up.

As a sysadmin with scars, I can say that a backup system is only as
good as it's restore system.  When I say system here, I don't mean
duplicity, I mean the entire process (boot media, duplicity, attaching
to restore media etc.. etc...)  A restore system should be simple and
quick and foolproof.  When you're restoring data, you're usually
stressed out, tired, possibly drunk, maybe even talking someone else
through the process over a telephone and the other person is the night
janitor who's never used a computer before and you don't have a first
language in common.

Er... I think that was kindof a tangent, but an important one in it's way.

So, I'd be very interested in learning about other people's restore practices.

-Dylan