Re: [Fwd: Re: [Duplicity-talk] How do you list all files since the backu

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Duplicity-talk] How do you list all files since the backup chain started]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:46:30 +0100

Hey Richard,
two questions for Ken included ..

I don't see the need (or any advantage) in totally re-writing the way file
information is
displayed. I feel that the above sort of listing may make things harder to
process this output via
a script or frontend application as the required information for a file is
split over a number of
lines.
because it helps to keep the overview if _more_ then one files is listed,
also having the same name multiple times would be redundant
long path/filenames will have more spaces to be printed completely

Perhaps just extending the output style we currently have would be better e.g:

Thu Oct 23 14:05:15 2008 12345 121 myfile
Thu Oct 24 14:05:15 2008 12360 122 myfile
Thu Oct 25 14:05:15 2008 12370 123 myfile
I'd rather see the now missing, but imho very helpful backup datetime value on the end of the line

Ordering the list by date and then by filename. That way we can process the
output and all
relevant data regarding a file from one line and in the following space
separated format:

timestamp [space] osize [space] csize [space] filename [newline]

One objects versions of course shuould be listed together, about the order (oldest, youngest first) I don't have a preference

The osize and csize would be "original size" and "compressed size" if we could
have that much info
that would be nice too :-)

why would you want to have the compressed size here?
@Ken .. is this value available?

any preference if size should be human readable? eg. 25M instead of 26082972 ... Usually duplicity is used in the shell by now, so it would maybe help the readability of an entry. But this could be kept optional for later as well.

Also, is there any way to display what the object is. For example, in the above
listing's we have
no idea of knowing if "myfile" was actually a directory, a file, a symlink etc.
Perhaps having a
flag in the output may help?

timestamp [space] osize [space] csize [space] flag [space] filename [newline]

These flags could be something really simple:

F = File
D = Dir
L = Symlink

good idea,
again: @Ken can duplicity deliver these

I don't know if this is another request or an addition to the current one :-)
I'm just trying to
figure out how we can make things easier for a frontend to manage and process
the outputed data.

as I am maintaining ftplicity, a shell frontend to duplicity by now, and would have to write a parser, I can't see the advantage of having the file name in every line. Every standardized way would suffice, as long as it's describable as regular expression, which both ways are. Actually I am planning to write a restore all versions from/to time into ftplicity, so I will need at least --list-at-time function or even better this multi purpose --list-files

regards ede