Re: [Duplicity-talk] zfec vs. par2 (and, hello there!)

From: Gabriel Ambuehl
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] zfec vs. par2 (and, hello there!)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:28:30 +0200

zooko wrote:
On Oct 16, 2008, at 16:11 PM, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

And yes, as Peter has said, duplicity needs a lot of work, especially on
error handling and par2 for protection of backups.

Consider also using zfec [1], a library that I maintain. It has a Python bindings and it is actively used in the Allmtydata-Tahoe-LAFS project [2], and the flud project [3], at least. zfec is based on the long-standing, widely used "fec" library thanks to Luigi Rizzo and many contributors over the years. It seems to be much faster than par2 for a few experiments that I tried (documented in the zfec README.txt), but it is possible that I was using par2 wrong.

That would likely be vastly preferable because libpar2 is a pretty stubborn piece of code, it does what it does and does not give you much say in anything. Especially if you can get zfec to incrementally generate error checking data across every file you send to the server (libpar2 can only do it across files that already exist)