[Duplicity-talk] temporary space usage?

From: Timothee Besset
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] temporary space usage?
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 23:44:11 -0500

Good evening everyone..

I have a backup (to an rsync target) that started failing with
out-of-disk-space errors.

The /tmp partition has 5GB free and my volume size is 100MB. Reading the
man page suggests I should only need about my volume size, or twice that
amount if I use the new asynchronous upload.

I monitored disk usage during the backup process, and quite predictably
there is a /tmp/duplicity-* folder that grows up to 5GB and causes a
backup failure.

Lookup through the --verbose log, I am seeing the program get in some
kind of loop of trying to backup it's own temporary files, e.g.

# grep 'Generating delta' run.log
[..]
Generating delta - new file: tmp/duplicity-7iJeV2-tempdir
Generating delta - new file: tmp/duplicity-7iJeV2-tempdir/mktemp--7oYNN-9
Generating delta - new file: tmp/duplicity-7iJeV2-tempdir/mktemp-0Gm_gG-57
Generating delta - new file: tmp/duplicity-7iJeV2-tempdir/mktemp-1yTRKr-65
Generating delta - new file: tmp/duplicity-7iJeV2-tempdir/mktemp-2J2xgs-32
Generating delta - new file: tmp/duplicity-7iJeV2-tempdir/mktemp-4dawDM-61

Going to run those again and explicitely skip /tmp to confrm, but it
looks like some pretty basic recursion problem got overlooked?

TTimo