Re: [Duplicity-talk] Support for hard links

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Support for hard links
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 21:55:59 +0200

> any idea when duplicity will support hard links?  Or is the
> information on the duplicity web page about not supporting hard links
> out of date?

I was hoping someone would respond with something definitive, but in
the abscence of that, here is some hand waving:

Short version: No.

Long version:

I have no information historically here, but looking around the source
there definitely seems to be code that cares about hard links and
tries to detect that a file is hardlinked to an already archived
file.

There is also a unit test which tests that the tarfile library
preserves this information.

However, a trivial test where I backup a file hardlinked to another,
results in a resulting archive of a size which indicates no hard link
optimization was done.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'