Re: [Duplicity-talk] Feature request/discussion: Store identical files o

From: Olivier Croquette
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Feature request/discussion: Store identical files only once
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:36:03 +0200

Peter Schuller wrote, On 28/07/08 22:47:
IIRC, the major reason why I could not use rsnapshot last time I looked at it was the use of plain rsync and the inability to backup ownership and permissions. This is fine in some cases, but not in others.

AFAIK it does if you run it as root.

Another minor thing is that I don't *really* like using hard linking tricks, since it does impose restrictions on which tools I can then use to handle the backup repository (e.g. to make a backup of the backup).

OK, it has drawbacks in specific configurations, but the huge advantage not to require any tools other than a minimal working OS to restore a backup.