Re: [Duplicity-talk] --include and --exclude questions

From: Jacob
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] --include and --exclude questions
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 22:21:41 -0400

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 18:08:10 -0400
"Andrew Kohlsmith (lists)" <address@hidden> wrote:

> duplicity
>       --no-encrypt
>       --include /etc
>       --include /home
>       --include /mnt/data/usrlocal/scripts
>       --include /mnt/data/var/data
>       --include /mnt/data/var/spool
>       --include /mnt/data/var/www
>       --exclude /mnt/data/var/www/site1
>       --exclude /mnt/data/var/www/site2
>       --exclude /mnt/data/var/data/duplicity
>       --exclude '**'
>       / file:///var/data/duplicity/root
>
> But this quickly fills up my root, because it seems that site1 and site2's
> areas are getting backed up... What am I missing?

I can answer this part. You probably already know that, at the first include or
exclude that matches, duplicity no longer moves forward and either includes or
excludes as specified. Take the /mnt/data/var/www/site1 folder as an example:

(no match)      --include /etc
(no match)      --include /home
(no match)      --include /mnt/data/usrlocal/scripts
(no match)      --include /mnt/data/var/data
(no match)      --include /mnt/data/var/spool
(is match)      --include /mnt/data/var/www
(skipping)      --exclude /mnt/data/var/www/site1
(skipping)      --exclude /mnt/data/var/www/site2
(skipping)      --exclude /mnt/data/var/data/duplicity
(skipping)      --exclude '**'

As you can see, the --exclude rule for /mnt/data/var/www matches at least part
of /mnt/data/var/www/site1. The best option would be to have the specific
excludes first, includes later, then the "**" exclude last to catch all else.