Re: [Duplicity-talk] Full backups strategy

From: Tom Purl
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Full backups strategy
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 07:32:39 -0500

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Yang Zhang <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is the main reason for doing full backups periodically the fear of
> some incremental piece on the backup server getting corrupted, thus
> preventing recovering of everything after it?

I read this advice somewhere on this list about a year ago, so that's
what I do.  I do a full backup every two weeks, and incrementals in
between.

I *guess* you could say that this isn't a very good reason to do full
backups on a regular basis.  I mean, duplicity has features built-in
that can check for corruption, right?  I guess I just prefer being safe
than sorry.  Also, the full backups put next to no load on my network,
so I don't even notice when they're running.

> Do most folks (using duplicity for personal data) back up daily and
> force a full backup once a month or so?  Thanks.

The advice I received was to do a full every week, but that takes *way*
too long for me, so I doubled the amount of time.

HTH!

Tom Purl