Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring over existing files analogous to rsync?

From: Jacob
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring over existing files analogous to rsync?
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 07:17:49 -0400

(Could another knowledgeable person correct me if I'm wrong? I don't like
seeing these e-mails ignored, but don't know if I'm right.)

> We would like to run a nightly restore to a test machine, and it would
> be nice if restoring could work like rsync - so that only the diffs
> between an existing hierarchy and the (assumed newer) backed-up version
> need to be transferred in such a session.

Duplicity will not overwrite existing files, and currently there is no rsync
functionality. You could restore the last day's backups onto the test machine
in a temporary directory, and then move from there, but that wouldn't track
deleted files.

It would seem the best option is rsync, since it was made for this. That, or
full restores every night from duplicity.