Re: [Duplicity-talk] A question about --archive-dir

From: Jacob
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] A question about --archive-dir
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:24:52 -0400

> I expect to have some questions about file globbing and exclusions
> soon too. Should I refer to the Rsync documentation for that info?

If it helps, here's a command I have stored away I use to back up my home
directory:

duplicity --exclude "/home/dir/.vendetta" --exclude "/home/dir/.feeded/vids"
--exclude "/home/dir/Documents/Personal/Music" --exclude "**.iso" --exclude
"/home/dir/.VirtualBox" -v9 /home/dir ftp://address@hidden/dir

As you can see I make heavy use of --exclude options. The first three and the
fifth are all the same: they exclude that directory. The fourth excludes any
files ending in '.iso'. I expect if I wanted to exclude specific files anywhere
within a directory and its sub-directories, I could write the following:

--exclude "/home/dir/ISOs/**.torrent"

I know examples can go a long way to understanding stuff, so I hope I've
accomplished that. Reading the documentation is always a good idea if you go
beyond the (what I'd call) basics.