Re: [Duplicity-talk] error: AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no att

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] error: AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'issparse' - Help?
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:22:41 -0500

Stefan Hoth wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> it's been a long time since I wrote you but since Sunday I have a
> strange error I can not resolve on my own.
>
> I currently use duplicity 0.4.9 with the ftp backend.
>
> When I do a backup like always I'm now getting this error:
>
> +++ snip +++
>
> Generating delta - new file: var/mail/virtual/hoth-line.de/info/tmp
> gpg: block_filter 0x5e2280: read error (size=11218,a->size=11218)
> gpg: block_filter 0x5e4020: read error (size=10345,a->size=10345)
> gpg: mdc_packet with invalid encoding
> gpg: decryption failed: invalid packet
> gpg: block_filter: pending bytes!
> gpg: block_filter: pending bytes!

It appears that one of two files has a problem, the new file above or
the duplicity signatures file.  The read errors indicate that one of
them cannot be read.  Gpg's error messages are not exactly clear.

1) If its on the same file every time, the 'new file' above, then test
that file for readability.  If you can 'cat file > /dev/null' without
any trouble, then this is not likely the problem.

2) The last signature file may be trashed, in which case you need to
remove the backup for that day and repeat it.

The rest of the problem is that the error is not being handled cleanly.
 I'll write up a bug report on that and try to get it fixed.

This is a really strong reason to get parity recovery software into the
duplicity process as soon as practical.