Re: [Duplicity-talk] CIFS support?

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] CIFS support?
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:36:13 +0100

> Would is be possible to get a cifs:// backup scheme, so duplicity
> manages the connection and the read/write operations itself rather than
> through a filesystem mount?

SMB/CIFS seems pretty complex, but that said the operations that duplicity
needs are very simple in nature. I suppose that if there exists a library
implementation of the protocol that is suitable for use from Python it would
not necessarily be entirely unrealistic.

I Googled and found a modern Java library, and some very old (1999) talk of
libsmb. Does anyone know if there are suitable libraries usable today? A
quick google/website check on samba did not yield anything entirely obvious,
as to whether there is a documented stand-alone library.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden