Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can one safely run multiple instances to the same t

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can one safely run multiple instances to the same target?
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:37:18 -0500

Eric B. wrote:
> I am trying to set up my cron job to run duplicity at specified intervals.
> One question that comes to mind which is a concern is what happens if a
> second instance of duplicity is launched with the same parameter list before
> the first is completed?  Does duplicity use a semaphore system (ie: lock
> file, etc) to ensure that two instances aren't trying to write to the target
> at the same time?  If not, should there be something?
>
> I will code my duplicity calling script to use a lockfile to ensure that 2
> crons aren't launched simultaneously, but think that this might be something
> of interest to add to v0.5.  A couple of quick tests I ran, launching the
> same duplicity command with the same parameters simultaneously, came back
> with duplicity crashes.

No code is in duplicity to lock the target directory, but I am still
somewhat surprised that it crashed.  Two running at the same time to
different directories works OK.  I use that every day.

It's probably due to the fact that it sees the first instance files as
an incremental and tries to work off them and they are not complete.

Please put an enhancement / support request up at
https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?group=duplicity

...Thanks,