[Duplicity-talk] Newbie questions...

From: AJ Weber
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Newbie questions...
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:48:23 -0500

First off, this seems like a great utility.  Great work, guys!

A couple of questions to make sure I'm using it correctly and efficiently, if I may?

1) Do I assume that duplicity will keep all files, regardless of "age", unless I periodically clean-them-up with the "remove-older-than" option?

2) WRT backup strategy then, if I choose to create a new full-backup every couple of weeks, I understand that I then use "remove-all-but-n-full" to remove old full backup-sets AND any old incrementals that were based upon them, right?

3) Is there any way to make the initial d/l of the signatures file(s) more efficient?  If I use archive-dir, and keep a copy of signatures locally, will this eliminate that initial requirement to d/l the signatures from the target server (and make the process more efficient)?

4) A "Newbie Guide to Backup and Restore with Duplicity" would be great to avoid pitfalls.  I think I need to understand what is required on the SOURCE-side to restore, should I lose the local server running the duplicity utility.  For example, what keys and passphrases need to be backed-up so I could image a minimal linux host in an emergency and recover the data from the target host?

Thanks again for all the hard work.  It looks like it's shaping-up to be a great, great utility!

-AJ