Re: [Duplicity-talk] are periodic full backups necessary?

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] are periodic full backups necessary?
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:32:30 +0100

> Another idea might be to use an encrypted virtual volume and to use hard
> links in it, like some tools do.
> With hard links, it's pretty easy to implement backward diffs.
> And confidentiality is ensured, since it's only a huge file.

The problem I have with this is that performance tends to *SUCK*,
particularly with high latency, since the number of synchronous reads
will be a *lot* higher when running a file system on this device, than
the "one per file" style when the remote part of the backup is at a
higher level.

If it were not for this, I would love it. In fact if this were not an
issue, I would likely run rdiff-backup on encrypted remote devices in
some cases where I now use duplicity.

I also think it puts a higher strain on the remote storage. That is,
you become a lot more dependent on the remote store correctly
implementing the appropriate semantics (write barriers and so
on). This is another reason why I probably would not use this in
practice, except under some very special circumstances where I
controlled both ends and had done a lot of testing and was somehow
comfortable with it.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'