Re: [Duplicity-talk] Amazon S3/socket error problems

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Amazon S3/socket error problems
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 01:21:07 +0100

> I repeatedly get socket errors. I have reviewed the mailing list, and
> have seen the prior thread regarding this issue, but did not see a
> solution posted.

I see this once in a while as well; I tend to use a lower volume size with S3
to minimize the impact.

For a while (like a couple of weeks) I would see this happen *very* often, and
transfers were slower than normal, to the point of more or less not being
able to perform a full backup. This problem suddenly went away. The problem
at this point also affected JungleDisk and the Ruby AWS library, so it was
not a python/boto issue.

I never got to the bottom of that, other than to see some strangeness when
tcpdumping. I was assuming something went on with S3 that somehow got
triggered by me running it on this connection (I had no problem during this
period, using duplicity on my colocation machine).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden