Re: [Duplicity-talk] Proposal of new feature

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Proposal of new feature
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 15:37:41 -0600

Richard Scott wrote:
>> (BACKGROUND: For my webserver I got a seperate ftp account on another
>> server for backup purposes only. Since I often change configuration files
>> and have several services
>> running on this server I would prefer going back in time as far as possible
>> if a problem occurs to
>> check the prexistence of it. Of course keeping old logs is also useful many
>> times. So I want to
>> fill up the space with my backups without setting a certain timelimit. I
>> just want to have a
>> secure backup with a little more comfort.)
>
> Hi,
>
> I've read the recent emails about quotas and I don't really see the point of
> adding quota support
> to duplicity as I don't see how quota's will help if your running short on
> space?
>
> IMHO if you want to keep older backups then by definition you need more disk
> space.
>
> Duplicity will only backup data that has changed since the last full archive,
> so perhaps your
> answer is to only do one full archive and the rest as incrementals? That way
> only data that has
> changed will be on your remote site.
>
> Ken, would that work well if you only ever did one full backup at the start
> of your backup routine
> and then only ever did incremental backups?

The problem with doing incrementals is that over time you develop a very
long string of dependencies that makes the backup more fragile.  I would
suggest something like weekly full and daily incrementals.  Bottom line
is that incremental backups are handy in that only the diffs are saved,
but can bite if you get too long a string.

Duplicity needs the ability to do differential backups, i.e. full backup
of the files that have changed since the last full backup.  It would
still be less than a full backup, so you could do something like a
monthly full backup, weekly differentials, and daily incrementals.