Re: [Duplicity-talk] Continuing an interrupted backup.

From: Mark Price
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Continuing an interrupted backup.
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:14:59 -0700

Ken,

Thanks for the response. I'll use screen from now on. Some sort of recovery, auto-resume would be great at some point in the future.

Cheers, Mark.

Kevin Elliott wrote:

Kenneth Loafman wrote:
Mark Price wrote:
What happens when a backup is interrupted/fails part way through?

I was running a fairly large (7.3GB) backup yesterday from a remote ssh
session, the ssh session died sometime over night. This was an initial,
full, backup but had only completed 5GB when the ssh session crapped out
for whatever reason.

If I kick off another backup with the "full" option will it continue
where it left off or will it start from scratch? Should I kick off an
"incremental" instead?

Basically what is the recover process here to end up with a full, and
intact backup set?

Sorry, there is no recovery process.  What you will need to do is run:

    $ duplicity --cleanup --force target_url

to clean up the target directory, then rerun the full backup.  I would
also suggest using 'screen' to allow you to disconnect and/or allow the
ssh session to disconnect without disturbing the backup task.

...Ken

This has been a really large problem myself as well. Some of my backup targets run over SSH quite slowly (bad backbone connection between the source and target), and so the FULL backups take potentially 24 hours. While I understand you can run duplicity to a local target, and then rsync the results, this is not the model that works best for me, as I don't have enough local drive space to really make this effective. I've had to resort to setting up many many many individual duplicity runs for particular paths, but then this becomes quite a management problem, and takes forever to implement per server.

I've now resorted to NOT using duplicity, in favor of regular rsync, just so I can get the servers backed up, but now I'm not using encryption on the remote storage. Obviously, duplicity is the favored solution, but until we can resume interrupted backups, I'm not certain I can use it :(

Are there any plans to add a full backup resume feature? It would be really useful for several of us (based on mailing list posts over the 6 months).

-Kevin