Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 connection timeout

From: Mitchell Garnaat
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 connection timeout
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:36:40 -0400

Because S3 is a networked service, intermittent service failures (the dreaded 500 errors) are a way of life.  The boto library tries pretty hard to detect those errors and retry until things work but I'm sure there are corner cases I'm missing.

I mainly access S3 from home which uses a RoadRunner cable modem.  I can honestly say that I remember the last time I experienced an actual failure when putting or getting files to/from S3.  I'm sure errors and retries are happening but not to the point that ever become noticeable to me.

Having said all of that, the S3 forums seem to have a fairly high number of messages from people on comcast that seem to be having trouble accessing the service.  Maybe there are some bigger issues there.

Mitch

On 10/29/07, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
Eric Evans wrote:
> [ Greg Heartsfield ]
>> I used Duplicity for quite some time with the old bitbucket backend,
>> mostly succesfully.  Since that was switched out with boto, I've never
>> had success doing a backup to S3.  On multiple OS X ( 10.4/10.5)
>> machines, I get "caught a socket error, trying to recover" messages
>> from s3/key.py (as you note).
>>
>> The error is coming from boto, but I can only recreate it when boto is
>> running in the context of duplicity.  I can take backup sets created
>> with duplicity, and run a simple program that uses boto to upload them
>> to S3 without problems (most of the code is line-for-line from the
>> boto/duplicity backend).
>>
>> The error only occurs when I send data exceeding a precise number of
>> bits, which I don't have at hand at the moment, but it was something
>> like 8k (note, this is within duplicity, it works fine running only
>> boto).
>>
>> I'd also love to hear from anyone who is succesfully using
>> boto/duplicity, and what their environment is like.
>
> I backup 5 machines (weekly full, daily incrementals) to s3 using
> duplicity. All of them are using 0.4.3 and boto 0.9b on various versions
> of Debian (stable, testing, and unstable). I can't remember the last
> time I've had a failure.

Are any of you guys that are failing on Comcast?