Re: [Duplicity-talk] Host key authenticity could not be verified

From: Brandon Keepers
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Host key authenticity could not be verified
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:29:29 -0400

On Sep 27, 2007, at 7:19 AM, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

Peter Schuller wrote:
Here is the output of running duplicity with the -v9 option:

Reading globbing filelist /etc/duplicity_excludes.txt
Main action: inc
Running 'sftp  address@hidden' (attempt #1)
Timeout waiting for response
Running 'sftp  address@hidden' failed (attempt #1)
^C

Just to be clear, my interpretation is that the original host key
problem was indeed due to a real known_hosts issue, with this second
timeout issue just confusing things a bit. If someone believes there
is still a host key problem detection problem in duplicity, say the
word.

I think you're right. I may have ssh'ed as root when I was trying to debug and accepted the host key without thinking about it.

The patch he applied (also in RC2) should have printed out the text of
the prompts before the match.  From the printout above, no prompt is
coming out.  It is a timeout waiting for the long directory listing to
appear (18k entries), not a problem with known_hosts.

The original 'problem' with known_hosts was mine.  I did not want to
script the multiple paths dealing with known_hosts, so I punted and
turned off the use of known_hosts entirely.  Your solution to treat
known_hosts prompts as errors was the way it should have gone.

Just to update, I had to increase the timeout beyond the 120 that was suggested. I ended up going to 600. Is there any reason to have the timeout so low?

Now the backup gets further, but it's still timing out later when it transfers the signatures:

Running 'scp address@hidden:/myth/backups/brandon//duplicity- full-signatures.2007-07-30T10:15:26-04:00.sigtar.gpg /tmp/duplicity. 2deT73' (attempt #1) State = authorizing, Before = 'duplicity-full-signatures. 2007-07-30T10:15:26 0duplicity-full-signatures.2007-07-30T10:15:26 58% 268MB 381.7KB/s 08:32 ETA'
Timeout waiting to authenticate

Thanks,
Brandon