Re: [Duplicity-talk] 0.4.3-rc11 failure on FTP

From: Nicolas Aspert
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] 0.4.3-rc11 failure on FTP
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:03:05 +0200

Hello

Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> As to the slowdown... I've tested on my own systems, mostly Linux to
> Linux, but one Linux to Windows and have seen a small slowdown of maybe
> 5-10%.  That would not be a problem considering the wide range of ftp
> servers that ncftp will talk to.  I'd like to know what your source and
> target systems are and if you have any insight into what may be the
> problem and why one would work better than the other.

My source is a poweredge server running centos 5 (= rhel5) and my
destination is a terastation (linux also). I am backuping the home dirs
of users i.e. ~140GB of data for a full backup.
Both systems are on a gigabit lan (with GB network cards too).
Volume size is 10MB

Correct me if I am wrong but I recently run duplicity for an incremental
with verbosity=8 and its behavior looks sequential: duplicity generates
files to be uploaded in /tmp and when it has enough of them, uploads
them, then continues with incremental backup.

I am them wondering if this is possible to improve this a bit by using
the spooling capacities of ncftp to avoid pausing in volume generation
(cf. ncftpspooler man page)

Just my .02$ ;)

a+
Nicolas