[Duplicity-talk] Feature suggestion: Forward error correction

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Feature suggestion: Forward error correction
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 14:33:47 +0200

Hello,

I am just going to go ahead and suggest the feature, since I have to admit I
probably will not get to it myself even though I would like to.

I am continuously paranoid about random bitflips and other forms of
corruption. Especially when the effect of a single bitflip can have a large
impact (consider e.g., backup up rdiff-backup directories with duplicity; a
bitflip in the wrong place and the whole archive is suddenly unusable by
rdiff-backup).

It would be nice to apply some forward error correction to the backups. This
seems like something very practical too given that duplicity already backs up
in terms of volumes of sufficient size to make the use of existing tools such
as par2 usable.

In the case of par2, duplicity could use par2 and upload the par2 files along
with each volume and support using it during extraction in the event of
broken volumes (and perhaps checking during a verification).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden