Re: [Duplicity-talk] specifying directories to backup

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] specifying directories to backup
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:08:02 -0500

Benjamin Montgomery wrote:
> Hi everyone, I need some help with telling duplicity what directories I
> want backup up on my server.  My goal is to have a script that runs
> duplicity with "/" as the input directory but only does a backup for
> certain directories on my system that I specify.
>
> I tried creating a file with the directories I want and using the
> following:
>
> duplicity --exclude "**" --include-filelist include-files / file:///tmp/
>
> but I get this error:
>
> Last selection expression:
>     Filelist: include-files
> only specifies that files be included.  Because the default is to
> include all files, the expression is redundant.  Exiting because this
> probably isn't what you meant.
>
> The include file looks like:
> /usr/local
> /var/www
>
> If I swap the order of the include and exclude options, duplicity runs,
> but the archive it creates only has the top-level directories and none
> of the files or subdirectories in the directories.
>
> I've been looking at the manpage, but I'm stumped.  Can anyone help me
> with how to tell duplicity to do the above?  Ideally, I'd like to be
> able to list the include directories in a file, but any suggestions
> would be appreciated!

The --include-filelist, --exclude-filelist include and exclude file
names, not file patterns.  To get file patterns you need to use the
command line --include or --include-globbing-filelist or the mirrored
exclude options, so for your case, a single file will do the deed.

In a file called 'filelist' put:
  + /usr/local
  + /var/www
  - **

then run duplicity with:
  duplicity --include-globbing-filelist 'filelist' / file:///tmp

which is equivalent to:
  duplicity --include '/usr/local' --include '/var/www' --exclude '**' \
  / file:///tmp

The man page is pretty terse.  Watch out for the use of 'filename'
versus 'pattern'.  It really does mean what it says.