Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 getting started

From: mike
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 getting started
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:17:56 -0700

On 6/20/07, Duane Winner <address@hidden> wrote:

Now the tough part -- deciding which one to use for our enterprise
backups. I'm leaning heavily towards rsync.net, well, just because I
feel like it's my civic duty to support the FreeBSD guys the way they
seem to support FreeBSD.
But of course it all comes down to political and business decisions here
which I may or may not have any control over. Also, next on the agenda
is looking into Amazon Web Services EC2 to see if it is a viable
solution to virtualize our web and database servers. This should be fun.
So depending on where that goes, that may influence the decision of who
to use for backup storage.

there is a cost difference as well.

rsync is $1.60/gb/month for storage, no data xfer cost

amazon is $.15/gb/month for storage, tiered pricing for data xfer
(between $.10-.18 per gig)

depending on the types of transfers and direction and such that could
probably work out to be quite a cost difference.

to me rsync.net would probably be faster and have more agile support.
however, not to bash on rsync.net, but is the parent company on the
fortune 500, or it's name known worldwide? oh - also rsync.net is
built on open standards (ssh, webdav, etc.) so virtually any product
that supports those could be used.

amazon has the power of the amazon brand, the huge computing and
storage infrastructure they keep building on for all these services
and probably will run cheaper. it might be an easier sell just due to
the name being recognized by upper management. s3 is a pseudo
proprietary protocol (well, interchange) that does require application
awareness (or a transparent transit backend) ...

pros and cons for both... :)