Re: [Duplicity-talk] slowness+ ftp timeouts with 0.4.3-rc1

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] slowness+ ftp timeouts with 0.4.3-rc1
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 08:10:37 -0500

Nicolas Aspert wrote:
Kenneth Loafman wrote:

Patch 5183 had a problem in that it would open a new connection, and a
new login, on every retry.  The change above was made so that it would
not keep opening a new connection on every retry.  Now, once you are
logged in, the connection is open and retries only retry the failed
operation, and does not create a new concurrent login.

That looks sound to me. Could it be that 0.4.3-rc1 is slow beyond reason
because it makes a lot more retries than 0.4.2+patch did ? (since it
reopens a new ftp connection upon timeout, it has the initial 300s
timeout). If this is a case, it may be a better strategy to close the
connection and reopen it if a timeout occurs.

I'll have a fix out later today. When the remote system drops the connection, we need to quit and reconnect, not just reconnect.

The timeout goes up with every retry of the error, but resets once the error is resolved, so that should not be a problem.