[Duplicity-talk] slowness+ ftp timeouts with 0.4.3-rc1

From: Nicolas Aspert
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] slowness+ ftp timeouts with 0.4.3-rc1
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 13:53:40 +0200

Hi all

I just grabbed the latest version for tests and it seems like it takes
way much more time. I am using the ftp backend (on a lan)
While running an incremental backup I get the following messages:

Catched exception duplicity.ftplib.error_temp: 421 No Transfer Timeout
(300 seconds): closing control connection. (#1), sleeping 60s before retry..
Catched exception socket.timeout: timed out (#2), sleeping 120s before
retry..
Catched exception socket.timeout: timed out (#3), sleeping 180s before
retry..
Catched exception socket.timeout: timed out (#4), sleeping 240s before
retry..
(goes on for a long time like this...)

after more than 1 hour I cancelled the whole thing.

I tried to change timeout/retry values in backend.py, but this does not
affect things.

I reinstalled a fresh 0.4.2 + backend.py from patch 5183 and started my
incremental backup again and everything runned smoothly (2 timeouts only
and 37 minutes)

I am not too sure about what part caused this behavior, the diff between
my patched 0.4.2 and 0.4.3-rc1 yields this strange part:

      try:
-                if self.is_connected:
+                if not self.is_connected:
                          self.connect()
                 return ftplib.FTP.__dict__[command](self.ftp, *args)

Anyone seeing the same thing ?

regards
Nicolas