Re: [Duplicity-talk] Concurrently running duplicities?

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Concurrently running duplicities?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:47:38 -0500

Andreas Schildbach wrote:
Hi everyone,

does anyone have any experience what happens if two duplicity instances run at the same time, processing the same "unit of work"?

I'm thinking of this, because I'd like to do incremental backups every hour, and full backups once a month (or maybe a week). Unfortunately, a full backup lasts much more than an hour, so doing a full backup and an incremental backup would overlap each other.

Would this corrupt the backup chain?

I would not try this. Incremental backup requires information from the full backup in order to process the change list. If the full backup is not complete, it could confuse the incremental in one of three ways:

1) incomplete file structure causing program failure,
2) not recognizing the existing partial full backup and starting another,
3) backing up more than needed if full backup not completed.

There may be more cases, but that's enough. Besides, with disk reliability the way it is, daily incremental is sufficient.