Re: [Duplicity-talk] PASSPHRASE, the environment, memory, etc.

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] PASSPHRASE, the environment, memory, etc.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:43:52 -0500

Mark Rose wrote:
You should look into ssh-agent. That would allow you to keep the private keys on your local workstation.
I'm pretty sure we're talking about GPG keys, not SSH keys. Similar concept, yes, and I think I've seen an implementation so targeted -- but not quite the same thing.
Also, as a further note to the conversation, it's not a good idea to store the private key with the data, as doing so allows an attacker to corrupt your backup data, too. Storing it separately (say, on your local machine) prevents that.

Erm. We're using public-key crypto, yes? So the system creating the backups needs only the public key, and the system restoring them needs the private key.

Given that scenario, I don't see how separating off the private key stops fake versions of old backups from being created; what it does, rather, is preventing previous backups from being readable by the machine that made them. Granted, this stops subtler corruptions of old backups (as one can't decrypt the real copies to use the plaintext in creating fake ones) -- but I don't see that kind of threat model being a serious concern except in cases where one is backing up security-sensitive logs (such that an attacker may wish to cover his/her tracks through their destruction) -- and even in that case, an attacker can just as easily destroy the backups entirely rather than subtly corrupting them.

Now, if we want to prevent an attacker who has compromised the local machine from *reading* old backups -- valid point. An attacker intent on corrupting them, on the other hand, strikes me as a more unusual sort of threat model. (If we want to protect old backups from corruption, why not get someone else to act as a notary service and sign the hashes? That would strike me as the simplest approach).