Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity fails to do incremental backups on Ubuntu

From: Travis H.
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity fails to do incremental backups on Ubuntu Feisty
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:41:18 -0600

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:51:34AM +0100, Michael Baierl wrote:
> I know, I know. But I'm doing this on localhost to a local disk :(

Oh, weird.  Okay, so something else is exiting.  Once I get my new fileserver
up (RAM problems), I'll look into trying to duplicate the problem.  If you could
post a detailed error report, that would help.

>  -) provide a WebDav backend

I've never used WebDAV, and in fact I see it uses XML which I don't
particularly like either (it's like S-expressions*, only more
arbitrary in that some things are attributes and some are child tags
with no real rhyme or reason why one and not the other).  It looks
like the major client support is on Windows, which I have no interest
in supporting (I have no computers running Windows, just 19+ running
some variant of Unix, so this is more than a ideological argument,
it's a practical one).  Also, it looks like a remote file system
protocol, only re-invented from scratch.  Unless someone can persuade
me as to why this would be a good thing, I think I probably won't do
this.

[*] http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~rivest/sexp.html

The cygwin environment is based on the Windows POSIX API, and I think
shares the same code with GNU/Linux, so I would think that any problems
are due to Windows's POSIX API and not duplicity - is that true?
--
Good code works.  Great code can't fail. -><-
<URL:http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/>