[Duplicity-talk] why pad with incompressible bytes?

From: Travis H.
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] why pad with incompressible bytes?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:24:46 -0600

In GPGWriteFile, I see that duplicity "tops off" the file with
incompressible data to make it match the desired size.

This seems dumb and unnecessarily complex to me.  GPG already pads the
file to disguise its length a little bit and to make it a multiple of
the cipher block size.  What's the advantage of making the file larger
just to hit some desired limit without actually storing any useful
data?

I'm actually familiar enough with python (current favorite language)
and file formats and gpg and compression that I could probably do some
development work without too much effort.  What are the most desired
(or requested) features?

--
``Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.''
-- Albert Einstein -><- <URL:http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/>