Re: [Duplicity-talk] A duplicity backend for Amazon S3

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] A duplicity backend for Amazon S3
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:45:27 -0500

> Hi,
>
> I've written a backend for duplicity that writes to the Amazon S3
> service [1]. It uses the bitbucket.py module [2].
>
> It allows you to do something like this:
>
>     duplicity / s3+http://${access_key}:${secret_key}/${bucket}
>
> and so on to store you backups on S3. Which, well is very cheap. If
> others start using this, it would be nice for the code to be included in
> duplicity.
>
> (Beware, bitbucket.py is a fairly young module and may have some bugs)
>
> [1] http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/103-1203077-2066220?node=16427261
> [2] http://www.other10percent.com/?p=18

Thanks, this sounds like a great idea, and maybe even something I
might use once my current remote-storage contract expires.  I couldn't
download the bitbucket module though at the link you provided.

I added the code in your message and changed the web page to mentioned
the Amazon S3 link.  I'd like to add an S3 example to the
documentation, but don't know what ${access_key} et al look like.  If
you give me an S3 URL with some realistic looking values I'll add it
to the web and man pages.

--
Ben Escoto